How can we help you?
The Contact form lists some of the most frequently asked questions and provides users with the opportunity to report anomalies, shortcomings and/or typos found in the indexing of registers, deeds, personal details and/or locations.
To make the activity of verifying the reports effective and the management of any revisions to be made, we ask you to report typos, deficiencies and criticalities – emerged during the searches on the registers and names – in a clear and timely manner and without multiple submissions for communications relating to the same error.
In order to guarantee the effectiveness of our work, we ask you not to use the form (i.e. not to send emails) to
- asking for searches on both civil status and military records. The Portal does not carry out genealogical and/or registry searches on behalf of users, nor does it provide help with this type of research, but it does make available the documentation to carry out searches independently. Please also note that in the “Tools” section you can find support information for carrying out research;
- ask for contact details of State Archives or other bodies (municipalities, dioceses, etc.);
- c- request the issue and sending of certificates and/or copies of matriculation sheets. Please note that the Ancestors Portal does not provide this service. In the page “Request for certificates” you can find indications and useful information on how to obtain the above-mentioned documents;
- ask about the planning and timing of the publication of the Archives or of specific Municipalities/Provinces. The planning is shared with FamilySearch and the State Archives on the basis of technical and scientific parameters. In order to be informed about the latest publications of registers and names and to read all the details (consistency, chronological references, number of images), users are invited to consult the dedicated sections of the Portal: “Latest published archives” and “Index of published names“;
- ask how to contribute and communicate any problems encountered with the Family Search site. To date, it is possible to contribute to the indexing of the registers by participating in the projects on the Family Search Italian Projects page. If you have any problems with the registration and indexing process, please contact Family Search directly;
- ask how to download images. It will be possible, in the future, to register and access a user area of the Portal where you will be able to download images. The availability of the user area and all instructions for accessing and using it will be indicated on the Portal;
- ask how to share their family stories. On the “Tell your story” page, you can access the specific form to submit your genealogical research experiences and see them published on the “Read family stories” page;
- – ask if and when it will be possible to recover the URLs of the old Portal, saved for personal searches, for indexing activities on FamilySearch.org and within projects such as Wikitree. In order to allow accessibility to these resources, steps have been taken to ensure that old and new URLs are linked and that bookmarking functionality is released according to the ARK specification. When the functionality is available, it will be described and publicised on the Portal.
Thank you for your cooperation.
I need the birth certificates of my Italian ancestors in order to obtain Italian citizenship.I need the birth certificates of my Italian ancestors in order to obtain Italian citizenship. In order to receive an authenticated copy of a document present in this site you need to contact the local State Archive that holds that file: you may find the contact information in the section Browse the Archives. The authenticated copies, also called certified copies, are copies of the certificates issued by a Public Authority, which ensures its authenticity in accordance with the terms stipulated by Art. 18 DPR 445/2000. Please remember that in order to receive an authenticated copy of a certificate you will have to pay an administrative fee, unless the purpose of your request (which you have to declare in order to obtain the copy) is exempt from payment. You may verify if your purpose is exempt from payment or not at the “Annex B” of DPR no. 642 of October 26, 1972.
I want to reconstruct my family history, but I don’t know how to start the research.I want to reconstruct my family history, but I don’t know how to start the research. Before starting to trace your family tree in the civil registry you need to know the year and place of birth of your ancestor. In the absence of other personal information it is advisable to take a look at the names of the civil registry databases that can be consulted in the section “Find the Names” of this site: Tools.
I have consulted the portal database online and cannot find the act I am interested in.I want to reconstruct my family history, but I don’t know how to start the research. Before starting to trace your family tree in the civil registry you need to know the year and place of birth of your ancestor. In the absence of other personal information it is advisable to take a look at the names of the civil registry databases that can be consulted in the section “Find the Names” of this site: Tools.
I have found anomalies and/or misprints in the indexing of the card, the register or the location.
Taking charge of the report and activation for correction of the typo
I would like to know about updates to the publications of the State Archives.Last published archives
I would like to volunteer in the indexing activity.
I would like to volunteer in the indexing activity. You need to check at Family Search Progetti italiani if there are active indexing projects in the nearest Registry. In this case, you may start to help us by clicking in Start indexing.
You can help us any time, working online and whenever you want to. Family Search Progetti italiani
In order to start indexing you need to sign up and open a Free Account.
I would like to share through a story my experience of consulting the Portal and reconstructing my family history in order to make it available to a wide audience.
Se il Portale è stato utile alla sua ricerca genealogica e ha contribuito al recupero di informazione sui suoi parenti, è possibile accedere alla form Racconta la tua storia e seguire tutte le indicazioni che verranno fornite tramite mail.
Oops, no result
Submit a question using the form below,
or see our FAQ